Many of you know that proper operation and maintenance of your heat pump will save you money and energy. Like all heating and cooling systems, regular preventive maintenance is the key to keeping your cooling and heating system operating efficiently. The difference between the energy consumption of a well-maintained heat pump and a severely neglected one ranges from 15% to 30%!
Following these simple, inexpensive tips will keep your air conditioning running efficiently, prevent costly breakdowns and help extend the life your cooling and heating unit.
1. Continuous indoor fan operation can degrade heat pump performance unless your system uses a high-efficiency, variable-speed fan motor. Operate the system on the “auto” fan setting on the thermostat.
2. Clean or change filters once a month or as needed and maintain the system according to manufacturer’s instructions.
3. Dirty filters, coils, and fans reduce airflow through the system. Reduced airflow decreases system performance and can damage your system’s compressor.
4. You should also have your NATE certified technician service your heat pump at least every year. Your Superior Heating and Cooling Management technician can do the following:
- Inspect ducts, filters, blower, and the indoor coil for dirt and other obstructions
- Diagnose and seal duct leakage
- Verify adequate airflow by measurement
- Verify correct refrigerant charge by measurement
- Check for refrigerant leaks
- Inspect electric terminals, and, if necessary, clean and tighten connections, and apply nonconductive coating
- Lubricate motors, and inspect belts for tightness and wear
- Verify correct electric control, making sure that heating is locked out when the thermostat calls for cooling or heating
- Verify correct thermostat operation
- Verify Manufactures Warranty
Superior Heating and Cooling Management, Inc
Recognized as the leader in residential Air Conditioning and Heating in Tampa Bay, Superior Heating and Cooling Management of Oldsmar, Florida has been installing and servicing heating and cooling systems for residential customers throughout central and southwest Florida for over 26 years. Family owned and operated, they are BBB accredited and A+ rated.